Wednesday, September 19, 2012

David Cobb's excellent talk...

A Unitarian Universalist Congregation in Andover congregant told me that David Cobb would be speaking tonight about "Move to Amend".  She assured me he was an excellent speaker.  So I went to Arlington Street Church tonight, where he gave his talk.

Wow. What an amazing talk!  I was blown away.  And though I was clear that Citizens United was a decision that needs to be overturned, I wasn't as clear until tonight about why a Constitutional amendment was the best way to go.

Below is a video of a fairly similar talk he gave several months ago.


To my way of thinking, this issue ties into at least these several of our UU Principles:
  • The inherent worth and dignity of every person (1st Principle);
  • Justice, equity and compassion in human relations (2nd Principle); and
  • The right of conscience and the use of the democratic process within our congregations and in society at large (5th Principle). 
And when I think of the Occupy Movement, I can't help but wonder if this would be a good practical item to focus a majority of energy on for a while...