Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Happy Navratri!

Today is the first day of Navratri, the Hindu celebration of "nine nights" in honor of the Mother Goddess... Durga, Lakshmi, and Saraswati being the focus.

On Sunday, October 14, we had a "Unitarian Universalist Appreciation of Navratri" at the UU Congregation in Andover

To the left is a photo of (top to bottom) pictures of Durga, Saraswati, and Lakshmi in the front of our sanctuary that morning. 

As I mentioned in my previous post, I made my own ghee and camphor oil to make lamps.  On Sunday, I used the camphor oil because I wasn't able to warm up the ghee at the last minute. (See picture below.) I did the best I could with the Sanskrit.  I've been studying it some on my own, but I'd love to take a class.

My favorite part of our service on Sunday was that Reinaldo Betances, accompanying himself on harmonium, sang some truly beautiful kirtan.  It was transcendent!

Today, for the first actual day of kirtan, I went to the Chinmaya Mission Boston in Andover.  What a welcoming place!  I had a wonderful experience meditating and worshipping there.

Later this week, I plan to go to the Sarva Dev Mandir in Oxford.  As I posted about previously here, I have a special love for Hinduism.

I have just started a page on Facebook called Unitarian Universalists for Hindu Awareness.  To the left is the logo (so far, and totally unofficial!) for the group. If you are a UU who wants to learn more about Hinduism, or if you are a UU Hindu, or a Hindu UU, or if you just want to know more, please "like" the FB page.  If you are on Twitter, you can follow the UUHA Twitter page, too.

Happy Navratri!