Thursday, January 31, 2013

Resist Empire!

Medea Benjamin at UMass Lowell, Jan 31, 2013
Lest you think all I ever do is post about Steve Garvey and Jodie Foster and Paul McCartney... Today I want to post about something completely different.

Today I went to a talk given by Medea Benjamin of Code Pink.  Her talk was called "Resisting Empire", and it was part of a class called "Peacemaking Alternatives" (taught by Prof. Richard Hudak at UMass Lowell -- Richard is also the current president of the UUCiA).

The talk was excellent, and the questions by the students were quite impressive.  Medea Benjamin recently wrote a book called Drone Warfare: Killing By Remote Control.  I highly recommend this book.  As the back cover of the book says, "Drone Warfare looks at the growing menace of robotic warfare: who is producing the drones, where they are being used, who are 'piloting' these unmanned planes, who are the victims and what are the legal and moral implications."  
Medea was kind to sign my book.
I brought my own copy of the book with me, which she was kind enough to sign for me... (see picture to the right)

It is an outrage, to me, that the media has not been letting the public know more about our drone warfare.  Where the media fails, Medea succeeds.

She was asked about whether it was hard to speak out publicly, sometimes contentiously, about these important issues.  She directed us to check out this short video, which was on C-Span:



She said that it was hard. But as you can see, she doesn't miss a beat as she is hauled away.