Friday, June 28, 2013

Ding, dong, DOMA's dead!

Like so many Unitarian Universalists and people of conscience everywhere, I'm so excited that the Supreme Court declared the so-called "Defense of Marriage Act" (DOMA) to be unconstitutional this week. Of course it is unconstitutional! 

Having processed the DOMA ruling a little more, I find myself so grateful to the LGBT pioneers. I see pictures like this one (from the 50s, trying to stop the firing of LGBT federal employees), and I'm in awe of how brave they must have been to hold these signs publicly 50+ years ago! We owe them such a debt of gratitude. And truly, I feel indebted to all the people who "came out" as LGBTQ before me. It was hard enough to do in 1994, when I was 25; I can't imagine how hard it used to be. I'm convinced that it's because so many more people are "out" that we're finally starting to get more civil rights. Thank you all.

To read the statement of the Rev. Peter Morales, President of the UUA, click here.