Wednesday, December 11, 2013

The Totally Tubular Spirituality of the 1980s

This past Sunday, we had a worship service entirely devoted to remembering the 1980s.  Yes, that's right. And we had a lot of fun, too.  I'm a Gen Xer, and I just couldn't help myself.

All the music played during the service was from the 80s.  The congregation sang Cyndi Lauper's "Time after Time" and, with the help of the choir, "We Are the World" (by USA for Africa).  A couple of our talented members did an incredible rendition of "(I've Had) The Time of My Life".  And our wonderful Music Director played "Chariots of Fire", "Don't Worry, Be Happy", and "Footloose" on piano.

Our Director of Religious Education read "The Polar Express" as our story for all ages, which is from the 1980s too.

And my sermon was "The Totally Tubular Spirituality of the 1980s"; If you want to hear a recording of the sermon, you can listen here.

Every Sunday should be this much fun!