Monday, April 14, 2014

Occupy Religion

Lara Hoke and Patrick Wilson. Photo by Maurice Morales.
As I've mentioned before, I've been taking a course at the Andover Newton Theological School this semester called “Occupy History: Leadership for Social, Economic, and Religious Transformation” (taught by Prof. MT Davila). It's been an excellent and thought provoking course.

It's very hard to summarize all I've experienced and learned in my personal experiences with the Occupy movement, and I can't begin to summarize all I've learned in the course so far, either!

But on April 6, I shared some of my thoughts in sermon form. You can listen to the sermon at this link.


The picture to the left is from the April 4 event at Dewey Square, mentioned in my sermon. At 7:05 ET, I had the honor of leading a moment of silence, remembering the moment of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s death 46 years ago. (The clock you see here is on South Station, across the way from Dewey Square.) Other speakers at the event were Catherine Hoffman, a local peace activist and nonviolence trainer; Eli Gerzon of the Better Future Project; and a keynote by Chuck Turner.