Sunday, December 13, 2009

Chalica: Day 7

Here we are at the final day of Chalica. This is the day to think about our seventh Unitarian Universalist principle and how to affirm and promote "the interdependent web of all existence of which we are a part".

Since the UUA adopted the seven principles in the 80s, the first principle (the inherent worth and dignity of every person) has been central to our identity. It still is. But I would say that in the past 5 to 10 years, there has been a shift toward the seventh principle as our central identity. (There's even been talk by some of making the seventh principle the first one.) I think this is a healthy shift. The seventh principle is the one most often associated with ecological concerns. But it's so much more than that, to me. For me, the seventh principle points to Divinity.

This was my first year to celebrate Chalica (I did this at home, not at church). I have to say, even if the holiday is a bit tongue-in-cheek, I thoroughly enjoyed it. Cheery Chalica!