Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Through all the tumult and the strife....

I cannot keep up with the world any more.  I keep hearing the words of that early Quaker song, "My life flows on in endless song above earth's lamentation. I hear the real though far off hymn that hails a new creation.  Through all the tumult and the strife I hear the music ringing. It sounds an echo in my soul. How can I keep from singing!"

Not that all of the tumult and strife has been good.  But it has been an interesting few weeks.

So many things have been happening... in Egypt, Libya, Wisconsin (see "There Is Power in Union", a UUA guide to supporting worker justice)... along with threats to funding for Planned Parenthood (read UUA statement on this) as well as NPR and funding for a US Institute of Peace and on and on.  Too much for me to process in writing right now.  My head is spinning.

And today, President Obama declares DOMA unconstitutional.  It has always seemed obvious to me that it was unconstitutional, so this is very welcome.  Here's the UUA response to this turn of events.