Monday, March 7, 2016

Kirtan, Kripalu, and Krishna Das

I'm with my pal, Krishna Das at Kripalu
The last weekend of February, I went to Kripalu in Stockbridge, Massachusetts for a kirtan workshop with Krishna Das. It was a wonderful experience!

I'm teaching myself harmonium and loving it. But the workshop was more about singing, and doing kirtan as a spiritual practice.

I found that it made me feel a little more confident in my singing. One of my goals is to become a more competent leader of hymn-singing at the UUCiA. This was a good place to start!

My front-row view!
I lined up early for the Friday night concert, and I got a front row seat. I've seen KD perform before, but never from the front row. It was amazing to be so close.

KD is such a good story teller. During the workshop, there was a lot of time for Q&A, and it was a pleasure to hear him speak. The only thing better is to hear him sing.

Most of KD's chants are to Hanuman, Ram, Sita, Krishna, Durga, Shiva... Someone asked why he never does chants for Ganesh. Good question! His answer amounted to this: he never felt like it. Well there you go!

Oh, and while I'm posting...

Happy Shivratri!

No comments: